Caldo Verde – Portuguese Kale Soup Recipe
Caldo Verde Recipe, Traditional Portuguese Kale Soup
Caldo verde originated from the northern of Portugal (Minho Province) and today it is a traditional national Portugese dish. The “Green Soup” is typically consumed during Portuguese celebrations like weddings, birthdays and popular celebrations. The green soup is often consumed before a main course meal.
Many variations of Caldo Verde
The basic traditional ingredients for caldo verde are potatoes, kale, olive oil, salt in addition garlic and onion. The carlo verde soup is usually accompanied by slices of chorizo with Portuguese and served with crusty bread. There are a lot of different ways to prepare the Portuguese Kale soup by adding diff meats (pork, chicken, beef) or other ingredients like pastas, beans,noodles, rice…
This cooking recipe is a “new-style” Caldo Verde of Emeril Lagasse cooking channel.
- 4 potatoes, Cubed
- Kale 1 lb. washed and cut in fine shreds
- A big onion, chopped
- 1 tbsp. garlic clove, minced
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- pinch crushed red peeper
- 2 quarts chicken broth
- Chorizo sausages sliced
- opional: fresh mint, parsley and cilantro
- In a large saucepan, saute the onion and garlic with the olive oil for about 4-5 minutes and add a pinch of crushed red pepper.
- Add the potatoes and saute, stirring constantly, for 2-3 minutes.
- Now add chicken broth and simmer over medium heat for 20-30 minutes, until the potatoes are mushy.
- Add kale and Chorizo and simmer for more 15 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper
- Before serve the soup, you can add fresh mint, parley and cilantro and simmer for about 2-3 minutes
Be inspired and have fun watching our recipe videos. On our YouTube channel you will find other Portuguese recipes and different international food and cooking recipes all over the world.
Many Thanks to Emril Lagasse for the Caldo Verde Recipe Video: